It happens to all of us, you’ve ordered something from Amazon and now you’ve changed your mind. If you’re concerned that you won’t be getting your money back if you cancel, then here’s something you need to know.
Amazon makes it easy to place an order, but canceling and getting your refund is a big challenge. If you’ve placed the wrong order, or if you’ve changed your mind about buying it, here’s how to get your money back.
In this guide, we’ll tell you the simple steps to cancel an Amazon order and get a refund.
Things to Know Before Cancelling Your Amazon Order
Before you cancel, let’s go over Amazon’s rules and regulations about canceling the order. There are different stages of cancellation.
If you’ve placed an order in the last 20 minutes or even an hour, it’s possible that Amazon hasn’t processed the order. Amazon won’t charge your payment method until it ships the product. If you cancel your order before it ships, you won’t have to worry about getting charged.
Once your order is processed, Amazon will send you a notification. The notification states that your order can’t be canceled. You can try to cancel an order, even if the order is canceled, your order will still ship.
After your order is shipped, you can’t cancel it any longer. But, you can still return your order, if you haven’t opened the box. In most cases, even if you end up opening the box, you’re likely to return the order and get a refund.
Steps to Cancel an Amazon Order that Hasn’t Shipped
As we mentioned above, if your order hasn’t shipped or is in the process of shipping, you can cancel it before you’re charged. If Amazon has already placed a hold on your card, it should disappear after your order is canceled.
- Cancel The Order On Your Computer
- Go to the official Amazon website. If you aren’t signed in, click the button labeled “Hello, Sign In” to log in to your account.
- Once signed in, go to the “Returns & Orders” button on the top-right side of the window.
- From the list of orders, search the order you want to cancel and click on it.
- Once you find the order, click on the “Cancel items” button.
- Once a new window opens up, click on the “Cancel selected items in this order”.
- Cancel The Order on Your Phone or Computer
Here’s how to Amazon orders on your Amazon app on your phone or tablet.
- Open the Amazon app on your phone.
- In the app, tap the icon that looks like a person at the bottom of the screen.
- From the list of options, click on the “Your Orders” button.
- Click on the “Track and Manage Orders” button.
- Tap on the order you want to cancel.
- Once the order opens up, scroll down and click on the “Cancel Order” button.
Check the items you want to cancel and choose a reason for cancellation from the dropdown menu.
Steps to Get a Refund on an Amazon Order After it Ships
If an order has already shipped, you won’t be able to cancel it, but that doesn’t mean you’re stuck with the order. Whether an item arrives damaged, or if you get the wrong item, you can return the item when it arrives for a full refund.
Here are the steps to get a refund after your Amazon order is shipped:
- Go to the Amazon Orders page on the web or on the Amazon App.
- Find the order you want to return.
- Click on the order and hit the “Return or Replace Items” button.
- Write down the reason why you’re returning the item.
- Click the “Continue” button.
- On the next page, choose how you want to receive the refund.
- Click on “Continue” again and then follow the prompts to print a return label and finish the return process.
Do keep in mind that Amazon offers a return window of one month after the initial process.
How to Get Refunds on Digital Orders and Refunds?
It’s different when you purchase digital goods compared to physical goods. In almost all situations, you’d be able to cancel the order and get a refund if you’ve ordered the product accidentally. But if you’ve made the purchase intentionally and didn’t like it so you want to claim a refund, you won’t be able to get a refund.
If you’ve ordered something on accident, here’s how to cancel it and get a refund.
- Open Amazon and go to the “Your Orders” page.
- Click on Digital Orders.
- From the list of orders, choose the one you want to cancel.
- Tap on the button “Cancel Your Order or Return for Refund”.
- Enter the reason for cancellation.
If Amazon isn’t letting you cancel the order, it means your return/cancellation window is over. In this case, the only thing you can do is contact customer support.