Gone are the days when the benefits of online classes were strictly limited to the periphery of study-related topics. Now you can find online coaching classes revolving around almost any and every niche that you can imagine. Major players in the online education business like Udemy, Coursera, and more provide the customers with a plethora of topics. With the increase in the number of issues, the demand for online tutor has also increased.
In today’s world, if you possess and unique skill and you hold expertise in it, you can quickly sell your knowledge as an Online tutor. You can also think of starting a tutoring business of your own. Some of you might not be familiar with the concept of online tutoring, which is why in this article, we will talk about how to become an online tutor and about starting a tutoring business.
Steps to Become an Online Tutor
1. Have a clear vision
Before even beginning with the basics, you must know your requirements. Run thorough research on how online tutoring businesses operate, the resources required for starting a tutoring business, and how much it costs to set up an e-learning platform. It is also good to set a monetary target. Doing so will help you track the performance of your platform. You also need to decide which type of classes you want to deliver. You can choose to provide live online classes, pre-recorded classes, or you can select to deliver both according to the requirement. It is also a good idea to give one-on-one lessons. As a tutor, you must know which style suits your teaching style and move forward with it.
2. Know your audience (choose a target audience)
Knowing your target audience is the first step towards being successful as an online tutor. It might be challenging to know your target audience straight away, but it is crucial to have a brief idea about it at least. To decide a target audience, think about what you provide and whom it will benefit the most. For example, you can sell a computer course to help beginner-level coders or sell an art course for advanced-level artists. Knowing this will help to get to your ideal crowd.
Also, suppose you are aware of your target audience. In that case, you can design the curriculum more personalized to cater to their particular needs. This will help you market your product better.
3. Select your course topic
One broad niche can be divided into various sub-niches to create more personalized and unique courses when it comes to online learning. Being a tutor, you must know how the topic works and what sub-niches it offers and select the one you can teach best. Do a little research on what is in demand in the online learning market and select the topic accordingly.
4. Choose your pattern and build a robust curriculum.
Before starting a tutoring business, you should decide which pattern you want to follow. You can choose between video courses, written format courses, audio-based courses, and more. This is one of the most crucial components of designing the best online course, and it requires a lot of research and work. Mentioned below are a few steps that you can try to make the curriculum more enticing.
- Decide the learning outcomes: Learning outcomes can be the deciding factor behind the popularity of a course. In a heap of options of the same course, the learning outcomes provided by each can seal the deal. Mention the skills your students will gain by enrolling in the classes, the knowledge they will obtain, and more. It is always helpful if you write these learning outcomes towards the end of the course detail page.
- Check the competition: It is always wise to keep track of your competition, especially online learning. Go to the popular Elearning websites and check the courses similar to yours. Understand how these courses are designed, the traffic they generate, the unique features, the limitations. Once you are done with it, start preparing your content better and making it more appealing. The course you designed will only perform better if you provide more value than the already available ones.
- Gather effective course content: For your section to do better, you must feed it with the best possible content available on the topic. You must meticulously go through sources like textbooks, reference books, ebooks, pdf, videos, and more. Gather every piece of content that you think can be useful for building the curriculum. Once gathering is done, you must be adding these systematically.
5. Choose a suitable platform to sell the course.
Once you are done designing the course, it is time to get it rolling. Now, you have two alternatives to go ahead from here:
- Signup with existing websites: Online education platforms are always on the lookout for quality tutors. You can always signup for some of the ranked platforms like Udemy, Coursera, and more. Each site has a different monetization policy, so before signing up, carefully read and understand them before going ahead. Most of these websites work on a marketplace model where there are different tiers of payment. Your profit margin will depend on the way through which a student registers for your course.
- Uploading in your website: If you are not on board with the idea of sharing your earnings with a third party, then you should start your own tutoring business. Building a website from scratch can be challenging, but with the help of tutor management software like Pinlearn, you can create one without having to deal with complicated coding. You can always refer to tutoring management solutions like Pinlearn to get the desired results for your language learning platform. This software works on a one-time payment model, and the pricing starts at $399.
It looks like this article has hit the end of the road. The initial work might sound a little overwhelming, but once you get the foundation right, you are on your way to creating a brilliant course and being a successful tutor.