In the online world, content is everything. A website without compelling content is like a car with no engine — it might look pretty, but it won’t go anywhere. That’s why a great content management system (CMS) is mission-critical for any business. With so many CMS options, it can be hard to decipher which is right for you. The best way to decide is to understand the differences between the most popular CMS platforms: Wix, WordPress, and Squarespace.
Wix is an increasingly popular website builder for the average business owner, allowing you to create a site without coding knowledge. WordPress is a content management system actively running millions of websites, and Squarespace is a popular website builder and CMS.
Here’s the breakdown of the key differences between Wix, WordPress, and Squarespace:
- Wix is a drag-and-drop website builder with everything you need to create a website without any coding knowledge. It’s great for businesses of all sizes, from small to enterprise companies. One of the most intriguing things about Wix is that it offers a Freemium option, which allows you to use the platform for free as long as you don’t mind ads on your website. Many people choose Wix because it’s easy to use and doesn’t require any technical knowledge.
- WordPress is advertised as a content management system that enables users to create a custom website or blog from scratch or leverage thousands of pre-made themes and plugins to customize an existing website. It is free for users, but you’ll need to pay for hosting and a domain name. It’s ideal for businesses of all sizes, but it’s especially popular with small businesses and bloggers. One of the reasons WordPress is so popular is that it’s very versatile, supporting a wide variety of websites.
- Squarespace is a website builder and CMS that offers everything you need to create a beautiful website. It’s great for businesses of all sizes, but it’s especially popular with small businesses, restaurants, and artists. One thing that sets Squarespace apart from other platforms is its customer support – you always have direct access to a real person 24/7. Squarespace is also known for its beautiful templates and its eCommerce features.
Considerations When Choosing a CMS
Now that you understand more about the key differences between Wix, WordPress, and Squarespace, it’s time to consider which platform is the best CMS for you. Below are some things to keep top of mind as you make your decision:
- Your budget: Wix, WordPress, and Squarespace all have different pricing models, so you’ll need to consider your budget when choosing a platform. Wix offers a Freemium option, which is great for businesses on a tight budget. WordPress is a free platform, but you’ll need to pay for hosting and a domain name. Squarespace has two pricing plans: Personal and Business. The Personal plan starts at $16/month, and the Business plan starts at $23/month.
- The level of customization you need: If you need a high level of customization, then WordPress is the best platform for you. With WordPress, you can customize every aspect of your website or blog. Wix or Squarespace is a better fit if you need a bit of customization. Both Wix and Squarespace offer pre-made templates that can be customized to some extent.
- Your technical skills: If you’re not tech-savvy, you’ll probably want to choose a platform that’s easy to use. Wix and Squarespace are both excellent choices for people who don’t have any coding knowledge. WordPress is a little more complex, but it’s still relatively easy to use.
- The type of website you’re creating: This will also play a role in choosing the best platform. If you’re making a business website, then any of the three platforms will work. WordPress is probably the best choice if you’re creating a blog. And if you’re creating an online store, Squarespace is a good option.
- Your level of commitment: Finally, you’ll need to consider your level of commitment when choosing a platform. Wix and Squarespace are great for web leaders who want to create a site without any long-term commitment. WordPress is a good choice if you’re willing to commit to a longer-term project. No matter your platform, getting started and creating a website you’re proud of is important.
Tips When Starting a New Website
Every new website has the same goal – to attract visitors and convert them into customers or subscribers. But to do that, you must ensure your website is designed for success. Here are a few effective marketing strategy tips to consider when you’re starting a new website:
- Keep it simple: Less is usually more when designing for the web. Don’t try to cram information onto your homepage. Instead, focus on creating a simple, clean, and easy-to-navigate website. You want visitors to stay and navigate easily, so don’t make things too complicated, or you will risk their frustration and departure from your site.
- Make sure your content is well-written and informative: To attract visitors and keep them engaged, your website content needs to be well-written and high-quality. Make sure to proofread your content and eliminate any grammar or spelling errors. Some of the best content is also helpful, so consider including tips, advice, or tutorials on your website. Visitors will appreciate the valuable information and be more likely to return to your site.
- Use high-quality images: People are visual creatures, so your website must use high-quality images. Choose relevant images for your content and ensure they’re optimized for search engine optimization (SEO). Keep in mind people are more likely to remember your website if it includes images that complement your text, as it can be a visual learning aid that helps them better understand your message.
- Use calls-to-action (CTA): A call-to-action is a sentence or phrase that encourages website visitors to take a desirable action, such as subscribing to your marketing email list or purchasing. CTAs should be clear, concise, and visible. Some popular CTAs include “Sign up now,” “Learn more,” and “Add to cart.”
- Promote your website: You need to start promoting it once it is live. There are many strategic ways to promote your website, such as through social media, email marketing, and Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising. Create stunning ads with catchy headlines that immediately communicate what your site does and what benefits it can provide.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating a successful website. Remember, the key to attracting and converting visitors is to create a well-designed website that is informative and engaging. So take your time, put in the effort, and you’ll be sure to see success.